Motorcyclist Dies While Trying to Navigate Curve
In late February 2017, a 60-year-old motorcyclist was discovered by a passing motorist as he lay at a curve near the Hampton Inn on Sixth Avenue on State Road 60.
The motorist was driving along Sixth Avenue and 20th Place just after midnight on a Sunday when the fallen motorcyclist was seen. It is unclear how long the man was there before being discovered. Sadly, the motorcyclist died at the scene.
Why Motorcyclists Crash on Curves
A significant number of crashes involving motorcycles happen on corners and curves. There are a number of reasons why this may happen:
- Speed: Taking a corner too quickly on a motorcycle can cause it to slip and skid. Riders are also more likely to lose control of their vehicle if they are riding too quickly, particularly if they are operating a high performance motorcycle
- Alcohol/substance use: Motorcyclists are held to the same alcohol and drug restrictions as drivers of passenger vehicles and trucks. It is particularly important, however, that riders do not operate their motorcycles while impaired as their motorcycle provides little protection to a rider
- Inexperience: Riders who are new to riding their motorcycle may not know how to properly navigate their motorcycles along curves which may be sharp, poorly maintained, or slick due to weather conditions
- Weather conditions: Wet, slick, and snowy roads will impact the performance and safety or a motorcycle
- Other drivers: Other vehicles on the road may be responsible for a crash on a curve. For example, if another vehicle is switching into a lane on a curve, he or she may not properly see a smaller motorcycle and may force them off the road
- Poor road conditions: Road conditions which would not otherwise affect a passenger vehicle can be deadly to a motorcycle. Potholes, uneven heights between different lanes, dead animals and other unexpected roadway objects are all serious safety threats to riders
Learn More about Your Legal Rights with Keith Bregoff, PA
The Law Offices of Keith Bregoff, PA works with motorcyclists suffering personal injuries caused by the negligence of others in Florida, to ensure that their physical, emotional, and financial well-being are protected during and after they recover. Our law firm offers complimentary initial consultations so that you can learn more about your legal options and how you should best proceed with your claim.
To arrange for your free initial consultation, contact us online or please call (772) 492-8967.