What Are The Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries?
According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, thousands of people survive spinal cord injuries each year in the United States, including the nearly 13,000 people who suffered from these traumatic injuries last year.
As the primary connection between the brain and central nervous system, the spinal cord controls your movements and any injuries sustained can be life-changing.
The catastrophic nature of these injuries is compounded by significant expenses related to medical costs, which are only a portion of the complete and realistic costs that may last months, years, or even a lifetime.
At Law Offices of Keith Bregoff, P.A., our Vero Beach, Florida spinal cord injury lawyer will fully evaluate your personal injury case to ensure your pursuit of financial recovery matches your complete needs — now and going forward.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries in Florida
Spinal cord injuries can occur without notice and often result from a traumatic event.
The most common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle crashes
- Pedestrian accidents
- Truck collisions
- Violent acts
- Sports and recreation activities
- Medical errors
- Workplace accidents
When spinal cord injuries are caused by another person or party’s negligence, our Vero Beach personal injury attorney will outline your complete financial needs, so you can focus on your rehabilitation and therapy with confidence.
Are There Different Types of Spinal Cord Injuries?
Spinal cord injuries are categorized in two ways, complete and incomplete.
- When all sensory and motor function is lost below the injury, the injury is considered complete.
- When the injured person maintains some motor or sensory function below the affected area, the injury is considered incomplete.
Paralysis from a spinal cord injury can be categorized as:
- Tetraplegia or quadriplegia, where the limbs, trunk, and pelvic organs are all affected
- Paraplegia, where all or part of the legs, trunk, and pelvic organs are affected
The long-term medical costs and ongoing expenses associated with paralysis requires an experienced approach to outlining your complete case, so no detail is left to chance.
What Are the Common Symptoms of a Spinal Cord Injury?
If you are injured during a motor vehicle collision or other accident, you may not understand the complete extent of your injuries after the crash.
That is why it is so important to pursue medical care immediately after the collision occurs.
Common symptoms of a spinal cord injury can include:
- Altered sensations, including the inability to feel heat, cold, and touch
- Changes in sexual function, sexual sensitivity, and fertility
- Difficulty breathing
- Exaggerated reflex activities or spasms
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Loss of movement
- Pain caused by nerve damage
Contact Our Florida Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers and Schedule a Free Consultation Today:
If you have suffered a spinal cord injury, Indian River County and Vero Beach, Florida personal injury lawyer at the Law Offices of Keith Bregoff, P.A. today by calling (772) 492 8967 to schedule a free consultation where we will review the details of your injuries and provide a strategic approach to pursuing the financial recovery you deserve.