Do the Summer Months Lead to a Rise in Personal Injury Cases?
As the sun casts its warm embrace upon us during the summer months, most of us eagerly await those trips we have been planning since the snowy days. However, with the arrival of summer, there is often an increase in personal injury accidents and cases. The increased number of outdoor fun activities, travel, nice and warm weather, and kids being out of school create higher chances of accidents.
Remember to say safe while you enjoy your summer, as most personal injuries occur during this time. Below we explore why most personal injury cases happen during summer, some of the most common personal injury cases, and how you can have an enjoyable and safe summer season.
Auto Accident Cases
While you would think that most auto accident cases occur during winter, the NHTSA reports that most car accidents happen during summer, especially in August. In fact, the period between Memorial Day and Labor Day is particularly dangerous for teenagers and is dubbed “The 100 Deadliest Days” for young drivers.
With the influx of travelers hitting the roads for vacations, road trips, and long drives, the likelihood of car accident cases increases. This is due to drivers going through unfamiliar roads, some fatigued, driving recklessly while others are drunk. Summer months often lead to a rise in personal injury cases from car accidents.
Pedestrian and Bicycle Accident Cases
Everyone looks forward to enjoying the warm weather during walks or bike rides to their destinations. Most streets have an influx of pedestrians on sidewalks, restaurants, bars, and retail stores, increasing the likelihood of pedestrian accidents. Drivers should be particularly alert in the summer due to the surge of pedestrians and bicycle traffic, especially in recreational sports and streets.
Slip and Fall Personal Injury Cases
Summer means spending time outdoors, mostly at amusement water parks, at the beach, or hiking. These places often have slippery surfaces or uneven terrain, leading to slip-and-fall accidents. Additionally, with the summer rains, slips and falls can happen outside your doorstep, especially when young children run outside. Slips and falls can result in severe injuries like sprains, fractures, and head injuries.
During summer, thousands of boating enthusiasts take to our Sunshine State’s waterways for kayaking or rafting expeditions. Unfortunately, this can also lead to personal injury cases such as drowning or near drowning, mostly attributed to speeding, alcohol consumption, and lack of proper safety gear in case of emergencies.
Dog Bite Cases
In the summer months, it is not just humans who love to embrace the warm weather. You may find your dog enjoying the weather more than usual. However, even the most seemingly harmless dogs can bite strangers if not restricted on a leash. This complacency often leads to an increase in dog bite cases in the summer months.
How to Avoid Personal Injury Cases During the Summer Months
- Practice safe driving. If you plan to travel during the summer, ensure your vehicle is well-maintained and follow safe driving practices. This includes avoiding distractions while you are behind the wheel, taking regular breaks if driving long distances to prevent fatigue, and exercising great caution when driving in or near crowded areas.
- As a pedestrian, remain vigilant and cross the roads at the designated crosswalks. Cyclists, too, should always wear a helmet, and reflective clothing, take caution when riding through unfamiliar routes, and obey traffic rules to ensure they are safe throughout the summertime.
- Wear proper footwear. Whether strolling on the beach, hiking, or exploring amusement parks, wear appropriate footwear that provides adequate support and grip to avoid slips and falls.
- Adhere to water safety rules. If you plan to participate in water activities, always wear a life jacket, even if you are a pro swimmer. Follow boating rules, and if you have to take alcohol while on a cruise, have a designated sober driver for your trip.
- If you own a pet, do not get complacent during summer. Ensure you keep them locked behind doors to prevent injuries, and always have them on a leash while outside, even if your dog has never displayed aggressive behavior.
Contact the Law Offices of Keith Bregoff for Help With Your Personal Injury Case
We wish you an enjoyable and safe summer season. If you are injured during the summer or any other time of the year because someone failed to take the reasonable care they should have, our experienced personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Keith Bregoff in Vero Beach, Florida, can help. Contact us at (772) 492-8967 or online to schedule a free consultation today.