Car Accident Settlements: Important Steps to Take after a Crash
Being involved in a car accident is stressful and overwhelming. In many ways, you must sideline entire aspects of your life to deal with the aftermath. You may have to take days off work, get your car fixed, and spend time and resources recovering from your injuries, which means you might miss or fall behind on what yesterday were only important responsibilities and obligations, like an upcoming office meeting, or chaperoning your child’s field trip, or simply going to the grocery store. When you know a few critical steps to take after a crash, the process of setting your life right after the accident is much easier. You’ll be more likely to obtain maximum compensation for your injuries and damages, and you’ll avoid common bumps on the road to recovery.
How to Handle a Vero Beach Car Accident
If you’re unsure about how to handle a car accident—now, as you read this, or immediately after a crash—you’re not alone. Most people don’t know exactly what steps to take in the moments after a collision. As experienced Vero Beach, Florida car accident attorneys, here’s what we advise to protect your wellbeing and your legal rights:
- Call the police, so there’s an official record of the car accident. The officer who comes to the scene should take statements and write up a report, which can back up your claims for injuries and damages.
- Exchange car insurance information with the other driver(s).
- Do not take ownership of the accident, even if you think you were at fault. There may be other factors that caused or contributed to the collision. For example, the other driver may have been texting or talking on the phone.
- Do not answer questions about whether you are injured. Often, when someone asks, “Are you okay?” our immediate reaction is to say, “Yes” unless we’re in need of emergency medical treatment. After a car accident, adrenaline kicks in, potentially obscuring your injuries. It may not be till later that you realize you’re hurt.
- Take photos and get witness information. One great thing about smartphones—you can easily take photos after a car accident, so long as you’re not seriously injured. Take pictures of your car, the other car(s), license plates, the street view, and any signage or traffic lights. If there were any witnesses to the crash, get their names and contact information if possible.
- Before accepting a car accident settlement, talk to an experienced personal injury attorney. Injury victims often accept less than they’re entitled to in car accident injury settlements. A personal injury attorney will help ensure you get fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in the Vero Beach, FL area, please contact The Law Offices of Keith Bregoff PA. From taking the right steps after a crash to celebrating your recovery, we’ll guide you through your car accident settlement with smart, strong, and compassionate legal representation.