Elderly Pedestrian Dies after Parking Lot Incident
A 94-year-old man from Vero Beach died earlier this year after being hit by a car in a parking lot.
Robert A. Dangio was walking southward across a business parking lot around 10am in the 900 block of 14th Lane. The front of an eastbound traveling 2015 Chevrolet Equinox, driven by 88-year-old Joseph Brooks, hit Mr Dangio.
Mr Dangio was transported to the Lawnwood Regional Medical Center & Heart Institute in Fort Pierce where he passed away due to his injuries a few hours later.
Elderly Pedestrians More Likely to Die in Traffic Collisions
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently revealed that older pedestrians are more likely to die because of a traffic collision than younger individuals. The study analyzed data from the United States between 2001-2010 which showed:
- 4,280 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes
- 70,000 pedestrians were injured in traffic crashes
- The traffic-related death rates for those 75 and older were more than double those under the age of 35
Another study found that pedestrians who were 65 and older accounted for 19% of all pedestrian deaths and around 10% of all pedestrian injuries in 2013.
How to Help Prevent Pedestrian Deaths
While there are circumstances where a pedestrian injury or death cannot be avoided, we can all do our part to reduce pedestrian injuries or deaths:
- “See and Be Seen”: Look for moving vehicles, make eye contact with drivers when crossing the road, and wear bright clothing so that you can be easily seen
- Use clearly marked pathways: Cross the road only at crosswalks and use paths and sidewalks
- Stay alert when crossing at intersections: Look left and right before crossing at an intersection, even if the “walk” sign is on
- Give yourself a lot of time to cross: Elderly pedestrians tend to be slower when crossing the road. As soon as you know it is safe to cross, start moving forward
Call an Attorney after a Pedestrian Accident
The Vero Beach pedestrian injury attorneys at The Law Offices of Keith Bregoff, P.A. help those who have been hurt or killed in a pedestrian-related incident establish negligence and recover full damages for their pain and suffering.
We welcome your call to us today to discuss your case for free at (772) 492-8967.