Motorcycle Accidents FAQs
Motorcycles can be an exciting and efficient form of transportation. Experienced Florida riders understand that the fun of riding a motorcycle also comes with a serious risk of injury if they’re involved in an accident. Below, you’ll find some frequently asked questions about motorcycle accidents in Florida. If you have additional questions, contact the seasoned Vero Beach motorcycle accident lawyer Keith Bregoff for a no-cost consultation.
Is there a difference in what I can recover for my injuries as a motorcyclist compared to what I’d get as a driver of a passenger vehicle?
Florida laws on insurance coverage for motorcycle riders is completely different from those that apply to occupants of passenger vehicles. One important difference is that no-fault laws don’t apply to motorcycle insurance coverage, and motorcyclists do not have to prove that they have purchased motorcycle insurance in order to obtain a license. Instead, riders need only prove that they carry at least $10,000 in medical benefits coverage, which can be through their normal health insurance. Recovering money damages after a crash without motorcycle liability insurance coverage can be difficult, however, and riders without coverage who are hurt in an accident are strongly encouraged to obtain the help of an attorney.
An insurance company has offered me a cash settlement. Should I take it?
Insurance companies often make quick settlement offers to accident victims who are clearly the deserving party in an accident. However, these settlement offers are rarely an accurate reflection of the full amount that the accident victim needs or deserves for their injuries. Before agreeing to a quick settlement of your Florida accident claim, speak with Vero Beach motorcycle accident lawyer Keith Bregoff for a free evaluation of your claim. You may be able to recover far more through a lawsuit than the insurance company will provide in a quick settlement.
My motorcycle accident happened because another driver turned in front of me, but I was driving too fast when the crash happened. Can I still file a claim for money damages?
Even if you were partially at fault for an accident, the state of Florida allows you to seek compensation for your injuries. Comparative negligence is the legal term for the degree to which an injured victim was responsible for their injuries, in comparison to the fault of the other party involved. Florida follows what is known as the “pure comparative negligence” rule. Under this rule, the injured person can always seek damages from the other person or people responsible for their injuries. That said, their compensation will be reduced by the percentage for which they were deemed responsible for the crash. In other words, if you were speeding and the judge or jury concludes that you were 75% responsible for the accident and the other driver was 25% responsible, you’ll only be able to recover 25% of your accident-related expenses from the other driver.
If you need seasoned, professional, and knowledgeable legal help after a Florida motorcycle accident, contact the Vero Beach Personal Injury Law Offices of Keith Bregoff for a free case evaluation at 772-492-8967.
Motorcycle Accidents Show How Vulnerable Motorcyclists Are to Serious Injuries & Death
Motorcyclist Dies While Trying to Navigate Curve
Five Shocking South Florida Personal Injury Statistics
Top Three Plaintiff Personal Injury Claim Mistakes
The Basics of Personal Injury Cases in Florida